Thursday, October 29, 2015

Where have you gone Diabolical Dr. Up?

     They grow up so fast.  You better slow down or you'll miss it.  Time flies.  That's what they say, and you know what?  They're right.  Right as rain.  No doubt about it.  Where does the time go?  One minute you're changing diapers like you're in the pits at Talladega in 13 seconds flat, and the next you're watching them drive away headed for higher education.  Granted we haven't reached the latter yet here in the Uber Dad household, but it'll be here before you know it.  The central theme of this post revolves around a birthday for my Witchy Woman the lovely Miss Maddie.  She is an amazing young lady whom we love so very much.  The only problem is that she's growing up.  Just like my son, Jesse, who won't stop growing and aging either.  I need a little Peter Pan magic in my life.  Is it wrong that I don't want my kids to grow up?  It's not about me getting old, because my growing old gracefully and looking distinguished plan is in full effect.  What it comes down to is simple - I've never had something in my life mean so much, and the very thought of them growing up and moving away breaks my heart.  It is the circle of life I know, but I still want them to be my little girl and little boy a little while longer.  It is what it is.

     I remember the day she was born.  Halloween.  Madino was special from the jump for many reasons, but she made our lives complete.  I was inflicted with strep throat at the time of her birth, but it was something that I wouldn't have missed for the world.  She became the impetus for my immersion into Uber Daddom.  I know, I already had Jesse, but Maddie made my Uber Dad turn complete.  She spent more time with me in those first few years than with anyone else.  I became a savant at identifying mysterious fluids that ended up on my clothes and person, and was quite adept at changing the already mentioned dirty diaper.  We watched The Fresh Beat Band, Bubble Guppies, Dora the Explorer, and Go Diego Go!  Life seemed simple, but oh so wonderful.  Me and my girl against the world.  Jesse was in Kindergarten so Maddie and I would show up in the car pool lane at school to pick him up.  She would throw things at my head and laugh, and I would sing Bon Jovi songs to her.  We were quite a pair the two of us.  Where you saw one, you saw the other.  I was in charge of caring for this beautiful girl, and let me tell you:  I took it very seriously.  Once upon a time I put folks in jail for a living, and now I cared for the cutest blonde haired, blue eyed girl in the universe.  Putting folks in jail was easy compared to hanging with Miss Madino.  She can be a handle, but I loved every minute of it.

     Back when both my kids were much younger we used to play a game.  It was Macho Man (me of course) and Too Fast Too Furious (Jesse) in their adventures battling the evil villain The Diabolical Dr. Up.  Dr. Up was played by Maddie.  She was referred to as Dr. Up, because at that time "Up" was the only word she said effectively.  She would run around the house yelling, "Up, Up, Up, Up, Up, Uppie, Up, Up, Uppie."  True story.  Thus, the Diabolical Dr. Up was born, and what an evil villain she became.  The foil for the adventures of Macho Man and Too Fast Too Furious.  Adventures galore.  Those days seem like a dream now, but they were all too real.  So much fun and so many great memories.  I've written about some of these adventures before.  How can I forget The Dora Swimsuit Miracle, Maddie and Twinkle the Wonder Horse, the Cupcake Monster, and many, many more.  Maddie was there when I discovered that I was Batman.  She is my muse.  She is my warmth and my heart.  My little girl, who is not so little anymore.

     I know, she's only 7, I get it.  We've got many more years ahead for many more adventures and fun times.  However, every year brings me closer to the inevitable.  She will not be my little girl forever.  No matter how bad I want her to be.  Time slows for no man.  One day I'm going to turn around and she will be dating (Good luck prospective suitors.  I don't play, and am skilled in the art of the Redneck Jedi.  Take that to the bank) and picking out colleges. Then she will be a young professional doing something amazing with her life thinking about a family of her own.  These thoughts, while part of the deal I know, are heartbreaking.  She will always be my little girl.  No matter what occurs.  I was there the first time she cried.  The first time she skinned her knee.  The first time she said "I love you daddy."  The first time she hugged my neck and kissed my cheek.  I'll never forget, and I hope she doesn't either.  I'll always be there if she needs a soft place to land.  It is my job after all.  The Diabolical Dr. Up may not be around anymore, but she will always be in my heart.  Where have you gone Diabolical Dr. Up?  Nowhere, she's been there all along.  As long as there is a dad out there spending time with his beautiful daughter whether it be a tea party or jumping into the fall leaves - the Diabolic Dr. Up lives.  Oh, how she lives.  I love you Maddie.