Saturday, July 6, 2013

Life's Been Good to Me

     I may get hit by a truck tomorrow, but It's All Good!  My life has been kinda similar to a fishing trip my brother Frankie and I went on many years ago.  We were fishing in some back waters of Smith Lake near "Whispering Pines" were Frankie once lived.  I swear to you that we completely filled up a fish basket with Crappie, Bass, and Bream.  Nice fish, not any little baby fish in the lot...that is the truth as I know it.  Then I hooked a whale with my Rooster Tail!  When that thing broke the water it was a thing of beauty, and my eyes got as big as saucers.  I just prayed to myself that I could get this monster to the boat, because outside of a Red-Snapper I hooked once in Florida this was the biggest fish this then 16 year old had ever caught!  I was able to get the Godzilla fish in the boat, and we put him in the fish basket with all the other fish we had caught up to that point.  We fished a little while longer, but I really wanted to show off my fish.  My brother fetched the basket from the water, and guess what?  Yes sir, the basket was completely empty.  No fish to be found.  They had just vanished. This seemed like a case for Scully and Mulder, but what had happened was the "Hoss" that I caught had busted out the bottom of the fish basket.  This action had allowed all the fish to escape.  We knew that no one would believe us, and folks would call this a "Fish Story."  We decided to keep going and continue to fish, and with the first cast I caught a very nice Crappie.  That would be the last fish caught on this day, however.  The point is that there's gonna be ups and downs, highs and lows in life, and you're gonna fill up the ole fish basket of life some days and that sucker is gonna be empty on others.  The secret is to keep casting and continue to fish no matter what!  All that matters is the next cast, the next catch, the next "Monster" Bass, and even if the evil fish of life busts up your perfect fishing day- you get right back after it.  That's just my philosophy, but I've been on a fishing kick of late.  Oh yea, by the way, nobody believed us.  I will tell you the truth right here and now, it wasn't just a "Fish Story," it happened...That's a fact, Jack!
     I was put in this "Life is Good" mode as I've looked back on our Awesome vacation adventures this summer.  We are preparing for the drive home, and I have to say this has been one fine trip.  We've seen Miller Park in Milwaukee, Lambeau Field in Green Bay, the second highest peak in Wisconsin at Rib Mountain in Wausau, and we've been able to enjoy so many other great things on this trip too numerous to mention.  We've been able to go fishing on several occasions, and since this post has a "Fishing as Life Essence" feel to it- That's a good thing!  We've eaten fried cheese curds, frozen custard, and butter burgers.  We've been able to go to the 4th of July fair in town, and outside of a disagreement with Todd the disgruntled Carny working the Merry go Round, It's been a blast!  We've had great company and my wife's family are some really good folks, and I truly appreciate the time we've been able to spend up here in Packer Land!  To quote Cheryl, we're "Biting at the Chomp" to do it all over again!  She gets stuff backwards from time to time, but she gets it honest- her mother does the same thing....did I just say that out loud.  But like Cheryl says, "That's why I've got letters behind my name."
     I'm gonna cut this one a little short, because we are preparing for a cross-country trip back home.  Sweet Home Alabama awaits!  We may have to stop by and see the Turtle-Man in Kentucky for one last hurrah!  Come tomorrow we will be driving South.  Bring on the Heat, Humidity, Sweet smell of Magnolia, Cornbread and Sweet Tea, Biscuits and Gravy, and College Football Supremacy!  We Gone!  Roll Tide!